During the 1st phase of the GHS, contributions for out-patient services will be as follows:
Employees will contribute 1.7% of their income and employers will contribute 1.85% of their employees’ income. Self-employed will contribute 2.55% and pensioners, income-earners and government officials will contribute 1.7%. Payment of the above contributions will start in March 2019, however out-patient services will begin to be provided as of June 2019.
In addition to the above contributions, the government will contribute 1.65% of all beneficiaries’ incomes and pensions.
The 2nd phase of the GHS which is scheduled to begin in June 2020, will include in-patient treatment and contributions will increase as follows:
Employees will contribute 2.65% of their income and employers will contribute 2.9% of their employees’ income. Self-employed will contribute 4% and pensioners, income-earners and government officials will contribute 2.65%.
In addition to the above contributions, the government will contribute 4.7% of all beneficiaries’ incomes and pensions.
Apart from the above contributions, each beneficiary will have to provide some co-payments for specific types of health care services, with a maximum yearly amount of €150 for general population and €75 for recipients of Guaranteed Minimum Income, low- income pensioners and children up to the age of 21.
- For visiting a health specialist, co-payments will be €6
- For diagnostic tests, co-payments will be €10
- For pharmaceutical products, there will be a co-payment of €1 per product. For laboratory tests there will be a co-payment of €1 per test with total maximum charge per category of lab tests to be up to €10.
- For visiting other health professionals such as physiotherapists, beneficiaries will pay €10 per visit.
- In cases of Emergency Room Visits there will also be a co-payment of €10
In case a Beneficiary visits a Specialist directly, without being referred by their General Practitioner, there will be a charge of €25 (not considered as a co-payment). In such an occasion, no co-payment will be paid for the same visit.